Table of Contents
How To Migrate Progress 4GL to Microsoft SQL Server Using Command Line
To migrate Progress 4GL code to Microsoft SQL Server in command line mode you can use SQLWays.exe command line tool. This tool is a part of Ispirer Migration and Modernization ToolKit and is a main core tool that performs conversion between databases and applications.
If you run the SQLWays.exe tool for the first time, you need to register the tool using the license information that you have. You can register the toolkit using the SQLWays Wizard tool. Here you can find step by step guide on how to run and register the tool. Please follow the steps described in the article:
After you registered the toolkit you need to run the following command in the Command Prompt:
c:\Program Files\Ispirer\MnMTK2015\SQLWays.exe" /D=FIXED /SOURCE= Progress 4GL /TARGET=MSSQLServer /F=c:\example\*.* /DIR=ResultMSSQLServer\ /INI=sqlways.ini /TBLDDL=Tables_ddl.sql
Description of the command line options:
- c:\Program Files\Ispirer\MnMTK2015\SQLWays.exe - a path to the SQLWays.exe command line tool that will run the conversion.
- /F – a path to the source files that should be converted.
- /DIR - a path to the folder where the conversion results will be saved.
- /INI - a path to the options file (.INI file where all the options supported by Ispirer Migration And Modernization ToolKit are located).
- /SOURCE - option that defines a source technology (database or application).
- /TARGET - option that defines a target technology (database or application).
- /TBLDDL - a path to the Tables_DDL.sql file. This is the file with the MSSQL table definitions. This file is used by the SQLWays.exe tool in order to apply correct conversion of columns, data types and JOINS.
Options In the Options File
To convert your Progress 4GL source code, please specify the following options in the sqlways.ini file:
[Common] DSN=c:\Root\ REGISTRATION_NAME=RegName TARGET_DB=MSSQLServer
- DSN=c:\Root\ - a full path to source folder for correct coloring of call of functions from libraries.
- REGISTRATION_NAME= - is mandatory for your company.
- TARGET_DB= - specifies the target database.
To use EDM model please perform the following steps: 1. Create “db” folder in root source directory 2. Rename your edmx model file to “DataClasses.edmx” and place it in “db” folder
If you face any issues or have any questions on how to migrate Progress 4GL code to Microsoft SQL Server in command line, please contact our support team: firstname.lastname@example.org